Facilitating student creation is one of the most powerful strategies that you can employ in your classroom. In fact, allowing students to become active creators, rather than passive consumers, can transform the learning in your classroom by increasing engagement, student motivation, and retention.
Benefits of Student Creation
Below are 10 benefits of having students create in your classroom:
- Personalize Learning: topics and products of personal interest
- Apply Complex Thinking: problem-solving, analysis, synthesis, and creation skills
- Shift from Knowing to Doing: engaging and hands-on experiences
- Develop Critical Job Skills: creativity, communication, time management, and teamwork
- Infuse the 4Cs: communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking
- Develop a Growth Mindset: work through roadblocks toward creation
- Discover Personal Passions: apply known passions to their projects and discover new ones
- Develop Digital Literacy: by using technology to create
- Develop Self-Awareness: through metacognitive reflection
- Make Learning Fun: increase motivation and love of learning
Types of Student Products
How can I learn more?
Explore AVID Open Access for more free templates, articles, tool tips, podcasts, and other great resources, including the following article collection: Empower Students Through Creativity and Choice.