A village in the Minecraft world is threatened by fire and needs students to code a solution. Students will learn the basics of coding and explore a real-world example of Artificial Intelligence (AI) as they engage in this Minecraft Hour of Code.
- Get a high-level understanding of how AI can be used to collect data about forest fires.
- Create coding solutions that include sequences, events, loops, and conditionals.
- Decompose (break down) the steps needed to solve a problem into a precise sequence of instructions.
- Iterate on solutions to complete a task.
What You’ll Need
- Computational thinking
A village is threatened by fire and needs your students to code a solution! Students will meet their coding helper, the Minecraft Agent, and then program the Agent to navigate the forest and collect data. This data will help the Agent predict where fires will occur. Then, students will code the Agent to help prevent the spread of fire, save the village, and bring life back into the forest. Through this experience, students learn the basics of coding and explore a real-world example of AI.
- What role do computers play in preventing forest fires?
- What data is important when fighting forest fires?
- How can we prevent forest fires from happening?
- What is reforestation, and how do you approach it?
- Explore some creative building opportunities in Minecraft by doing additional coding activities in the same world.
- Use some of the following resources to have students further explore assessing wildfire risk with machine learning:
- Have students explore some real-world examples of reforestation using the following resource: