With everyone wearing masks, it is very difficult to show others how we are feeling. Have students use the power of computer science to develop a solution to this problem by creating an emotion badge with micro:bit. Students will use physical computing to create an emotion badge to tell the world how they are feeling. Emotion Badge is the product of the Micro:bit Educational Foundation.
- Develop a simple program that runs a micro:bit and shows how you are feeling.
- Use computer science to solve a problem.
What You’ll Need
- micro:bit or MakeCode simulator
- MakeCode or Python editor
- Computational thinking
Everyone around us is wearing a mask, and it is very difficult to know if they are happy or sad. Students can develop and use basic coding skills to program a micro:bit to tell the world how they are feeling. Through this experience, students will discover how problems can be solved through the power of computer science.
- How did you use a list of steps (an algorithm) to create your program?
- Through this project, you were able to create something that you could use to show how you are feeling, even if you were wearing a mask. How might computer science help solve another problem or challenge that you are facing right now?
- What other emotions, besides happy and sad, could you show by using the micro:bit 5×5 LED display board?
- How might you incorporate the use of one of the sensors into your program?
- How might you have students use their emotion badges in a classroom setting?
- What other nonverbal signal might students be able to display using a micro:bit?
- How might you make connections between this project and solving problems with computer science in other subject areas?
- Explore fun and engaging activities to bring computer science to life for your students with additional lessons from micro:bit.