NotebookLM is a free virtual notebook tool released by Google that allows users to upload documents and then use artificial intelligence (AI) to summarize, take notes, and interact with this curated content.
How It Works
- Log in at notebooklm.google.com.
- Create a new notebook.
- Upload content (a Google Doc, a PDF, or copied text).
- Click a resource to access the full text, a summary, and a list of key topics.
- Ask questions about the uploaded content using the integrated AI chatbot.
- Pin notes to the top of your screen.
- Create your own notes or use AI-generated options.
As new features are released, integration options will increase as well. In its original configuration, these five ideas are some practical ways to get started in using NotebookLM:
- Catch up on professional reading with quick summaries.
- Discover trends and common topics across multiple resources.
- Curate research.
- Conduct a topic survey and ask probing questions.
- Organize and process class notes.
How can I learn more?
For more information about AI, explore the following AVID Open Access article collection: AI in the K–12 Classroom.