Popping Filter Bubbles
In today’s episode, we’ll explore the phenomenon of filter bubbles and look at 10 ways to mitigate this challenge.
About Filter Bubbles
Filter bubbles are:
- Narrowed and filtered based on user data and tendencies
- Based on complex algorithms intended to reinforce behavior and drive more traffic to a site or option, typically to increase profits
- Pulled from account profiles
- Harvested from user interactions and clicks in online spaces
10 Ways to Help Pop Filter Bubbles
- Be aware that information is being filtered.
- Intentionally seek out opposing viewpoints.
- Seek news from a variety of sources.
- Evaluate the credibility of information sources.
- Be a critical consumer of information and ideas.
- Don’t avoid the hard conversations; engage in them.
- Don’t unfriend everyone who disagrees with you.
- Use ad-blocking browser extensions.
- Use incognito browsing.
- Use search engines like DuckDuckGo that do not track your online activity.