In today’s episode, we’ll explore ChatGPT, how it works, and some of the questions it has prompted in education circles.
- Is a free, web-based chatbot.
- Is an artificial intelligence tool developed by OpenAI.
- Generates human-like text responses to questions and word prompts.
- Remembers what a user has typed earlier in a conversation.
- Allows follow-up corrections.
- Is trained to decline inappropriate requests.
- May generate incorrect information.
- May produce harmful instructions or biased content.
- Is not connected to the live internet.
- Has limited knowledge of the world and events after 2021.
A few considerations discussed during the episode include:
- Educator uses
- Academic integrity concerns
- Impacts on writing instruction
- Evaluation of current practices
- Preparing students for a world of artificial intelligence (AI)
For more information about integrating technology into your school system, explore the following AVID Open Access podcast episode: Equity-Driven Selection, Implementation, and Evaluation of Ed Tech, with the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Jin Soo-Huh from The Learning Accelerator.