Online Reference Materials
In today’s episode, we’ll explore five types of online reference materials and look at how we can increase the odds that our students will actually know about, find, and use them. For all the details, be sure to listen to the podcast.
In this episode, we explore the following tools:
- Dictionaries and Thesauruses: Dictionary.com, Cambridge Dictionary, Collins Online Dictionary, and Merriam-Webster.
- Encyclopedias: Encyclopedia.com
- Fact Books: The World Factbook
- Maps: National Geographic’s MapMaker
- Translators: Google Translate and ImTranslator
Consider three ways to increase student use of these reference materials.
- Raise awareness.
- Promote meaningful use.
- Facilitate ease of access.
For more information about online reference materials, explore the AVID Open Access resources Ed Tip: Online Reference Materials and Fine-Tune Your Communication With Online Reference Materials.